USS Missouri (US, 1944)
The battleship USS Missouri, first deployed during WWII was also deployed in the Gulf War.
USS Missouri, battleship, fleet, watercraft, navy, Iowa-class, world war, Korean War, military, modern, weapon
- Is it true that Japan signed the Instrument of Surrender aboard the USS Missouri?
- What type of ship was the USS Missouri?
- What class was the USS Missouri battleship?
- Which was NOT one of the sister ships of the USS Missouri?
- USS Missouri last saw action in the Gulf War. When did it take place?
- USS Missouri last saw action in the Gulf War. What was the aim of this war?
- USS Missouri last saw action in the Gulf War. What was the codename of the operation?
- When was the USS Missouri commissioned?
- Which weapon was not an element of the arsenal of the USS Missouri?
- When was the Instrument of Surrender, marking the end of World War II, signed aboard the USS Missouri?
- In which theatre of WWII did the USS Missouri see action?
- Against which country did the USS Missouri fight in WWII?
- Which was NOT one of the strong points of USS Missouri?
- What military role does the USS Missouri have now?
- What is the USS Missouri currently used for?
- Is it true that currently significant resources are spent on the construction of battleships?
- Is it true that currently there are several active battleships in the US Navy?
- Is it true that currently there is only one active battleship in the US Navy, the USS Iowa?
- Is it true that currently the aircraft carriers are the principal strike force of the US Navy?
- Is it true that the age of battleships is over?
- The USS Missouri was hit by kamikaze attacks twice in WWII. Who / what was a kamikaze?
- What was the maximum speed of the USS Missouri?
- How many years was the USS Missouri active for?
- 406 mm naval gun
- 127 mm naval gun
- rear crane
- gun turret
The USS Missouri was commissioned by the United States Navy in 1944. This battleship, named after one of the American states, saw action in World War II, the Korean War and the Gulf War. She has been awarded 11 battle stars for her successful missions. The document of Japan’s capitulation, the Instrument of Surrender, which marked the end of World War II, was signed by Douglas MacArthur aboard the ship.
The Iowa-class battleship is 270 m long and 30 m wide with a displacement of 58 thousand tons. This enormous ship is powered by four steam turbine engines with 212 thousand horsepower, which can accelerate the ship to a maximum speed of 60 km/h. Her combat range at average speed is 15 thousand km. The ship was operated by a crew of 1,800 on average.
The powerful arsenal aboard the USS Missouri includes nine 406-mm and twelve 127-mm autocannons, 32 Tomahawk missiles and 16 Harpoon missiles. The average thickness of the armour is about 30 cm and 50 cm at the turrets. Another element of her defence system is the ‘Phalanx.’
Mighty Mo (or Big Mo), the last battleship to be built in the US was decommissioned in 1992; today, she is docked in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and serves as a museum ship.
The United States entered World War II after the devastating attack by the Japanese navy.
This light tank was used by the Royal Hungarian Army in World War II.
The US Marine Corps is an important branch of the US Armed Forces, with about 200 thousand, specially trained members.
American soldiers fought in almost all major theatres of World War II.
The name of the Russian armoured cruiser became well known during the October Revolution of 1917.
The ´Flying Fortress´ was developed for the United States Army Air Force by Boeing
The B-24 Liberator was an American heavy bomber aircraft, built in large numbers, that was used on every front during World War II.
One of the most important battles of World War II proved to be a turning point of the War in the Pacific
HMS Dreadnought revolutionised battleship-building in the 20th century.
Competing with each other in the 19th and 20th centuries, the world´s most powerful nations made great efforts to develop effective firearms.
This animation demonstrates how sonar works.
The most popular European-made transport aircraft before World War II.
A legendary fighter plane used by the German air force in World War II.
Oil tankers appeared in the late 19th century; today they are among the largest ships.
The main protagonists of World War II were tanks.
The atomic bomb is one of the most destructive weapons in human history.
Highly committed Japanese soldiers fought primarily at the Asian and Pacific theatres of the Second World War.
The Japanese Mitsubishi A6M, commonly known as 'Zero' to the Allies, was a legendary aircraft of the Second World War.
From the 1940s, the increasingly large aircraft carriers became the masters of the oceans.
The German liquid-propellant rocket, developed during WWII, was the first known man-made object to reach space.
English sailing ships were among the best ships in the 17th-19th centuries.
The warship having several rows of oars was the typical warship of the Hellenistic era.