Late Roman soldier (4th century)
The prosperity of the eastern part of the Roman Empire started in the early 4th century, during the reign of Emperor Constantine.
Constantine the Great, Roman Emperor, Római Birodalom, mercenary army, soldier, fight, war, weapon, spear, sword, shield, bow, arrow, Constantinople, Eastern Roman Empire, breastplate, emperor, antiquity, clothing, history
- When did Constantine the Great legalise Christianity?
- What was the name of the new capital city of the empire whose building was ordered by Constantine?
- Where is Constantinople situated?
- When was the first Council of Nicaea held?
- Where did Constantine the Great convene a synod in 325 AD?
- Is it true that Constantine himself converted to Christianity?
- In which town did Constantine the Great issue the edict which legalised Christianity?
- What does the word ´synod´ mean?
- The building of which church was not commissioned by Constantine?
- When did Constatine the Great die?
- When did the Roman Empire split permanently in two?
- In which town did Constantine the Great have an arch built?
- Is it true that the military reform of Constantine the Great divided the army into three sections?
- Is it true that after the reform the cavalry constituted the main strength of Constantine´s army?
- Is it true that Constatine the Great continued his predecessors´ policy of persecuting Christians?
The Byzantine Emperor was the head of the Byzantine Empire, the direct continuation of the Roman Empire.
This animation presents the history of Ancient Rome throughout the centuries.
The church of the 'Holy Wisdom', built in the Byzantine Empire, had been one of the largest religious buildings until 1935, when it was converted into a museum.
The excellent road and aqueduct system covering the whole empire reflects well the development of the Roman civilisation.
Wealthy citizens in ancient Rome owned large houses with varied layouts of several rooms.
As the Roman Empire expanded, military camps were established on the newly conquered territories.
Ancient Roman conquerors had effective siege engines developed for attacking fortifications.
The most important weapons of medieval Arab warriors were the bow and the sword.
The Arch of Triumph was built at the entrance of the Forum Romanum, to commemorate Emperor Titus’ victory in the Siege of Jerusalem.
The magnificent bath complex of the Roman Emperor was built in the 3rd century AD.
The ancient Roman arena became well-known for the chariot races held here.
Clothing reflects the lifestyle and culture of the given era and region.
The most famous and most magnificent amphitheatre of Rome was built in the 1st century.
Dreaded Germanic warriors spreading out from Northern Europe towards the south also threatened the Roman Empire.
Mercenaries of the ancient Roman army were well-trained and well equipped with the most up-to-date weapons.
Numerous legendary empires were built (and destroyed) in the course of history.
The equipment of ancient Chinese soldiers was rudimentary.
The structure of fortresses developed together with military technology.
One of the most important religious military orders, formed in the era of the Crusades.