Greek hoplite (5th century BC)
Ancient Greek heavy infantryman.
hoplite, Greek hoplite, heavy weapons, Hellas, Ancient Greek, Greek, fight, battle, war, warfare, soldier, weapon, shield, sword, armour, lance, breastplate, helmet, infantryman, close-range fighting, antiquity
- What was the Hoplite combat style suitable for?
- In which battle were Greek Hoplites victorious?
- What was the Hoplite equipment NOT suitable for?
- According to legend, what did Spartan women say to their husbands setting off to battle about their shields?
- What element of the shields revealed which polis hoplites belonged to?
- Which item of the equipment bore the symbol of the hoplite polis?
- How did Hoplites usually acquire their equipment?
- What was the total weight of the armement of a Hoplite?
- What was the usual hoplite military formation?
- Is it true that hoplites usually fought in phalanx formation?
- What shape did hoplite shields usually have?
- Which metal was Greek hoplite armour made of?
- Which part of the leg did the greaves protect?
- Which hoplite´s spear was longer?
- What function did the the bronze butt-spike placed on the back end of the spear have?
- What were Hoplite spears made of?
- Which of these adjectives is used to describe the swords of Greek hoplites?
- Which of these expressions describes a hoplite?
- Which of these was an offensive weapon used by Greek hoplites?
- Which of these was NOT a defensive weapon used by Greek hoplites?
- In which war did Greek Hoplites fight?
- Which of these commanders did not lead a Greek Hoplite army?
- Is it true that throwing away the shield during the battle was considered an act of bravery among the Hoplites?
- In which battle did Greek Hoplites suffer defeat?
The phalanx formation was a military formation of the Greek heavy infantry.
The marathon running event was instituted in commemoration of the run of a Greek soldier after the Battle of Marathon, fought between the Athenian and the...
The battle of the Greek-Persian War became famous for the heroic sacrifice of the Spartan soldiers.
Soldiers of the ancient Macedonian Kingdom were dreaded warriors.
Archimedes was one of the most brilliant Greek scholars of ancient times, who made his mark with military inventions as well.
The Greek fleet owed their success to their good tactics and their fast and easily manoeuvrable ships.
A bireme is a type of ancient warship, with a characteristic pointed bow and two decks of oars, used by many armies.
The army of Alexander the Great successfully deployed siege towers in its attacks against fortifications.
The Olympic Games, held in the town every 4th year after 776 BC made it one of the centres of ancient Greece.
Ancient Persian monarchs were famous for the size of their empire and their wealth.
King Darius as well as Xerxes built pontoon bridges across the Bosphorus for the Persian army.
The excellent archers were feared members of the Persian army
The legendary ruler and military leader, Alexander the Great, established a vast empire.
The world's most famous citadel, the Acropolis of Athens was built in the 5th century BC, during the Age of Pericles.
Mercenaries of the ancient Roman army were well-trained and well equipped with the most up-to-date weapons.
The Olympian gods in ancient Greek mythology were as diverse as humans.