Benedictine abbey (Tihany, Hungary)
The Benedictine abbey was founded by King Andrew I in 1055.
Benedictine, Catholic, abbey, Tihany, church, nave, sanctuary, monastery, monk, Lake Balaton
- Where is the Tihany Peninsula located?
- Who was the Abbey of Tihany dedicated to?
- Which one is the oldest text containing segments in old Hungarian language?
- Which king of Hungary was buried in the crypt of the Abbey of Tihany?
- How tall are the spires of the Abbey church?
- When was the founding charter of the Benedictine abbey issued?
- Which King of Hungary founded the Benedictine Abbey of Tihany?
- What does the word ´nave´ mean?
- Where do monks live?
- When did the Great Schism occur?
- What is the motto of the Order of Saint Benedict?
- What is the Regula Benedicti?
- What is not one of the three evangelical counsels?
- Which city is the centre of the Catholic Church?
- Who is the head of the Catholic Church?
- When did St Benedict of Nursia live?
- Who founded the Benedictine order?
- Who are the Benedictines?
The 900 years old Benedictine abbey is situated in Melk, on the right bank of the Danube.
A Romanesque style Benedictine church with a special gateway, built in the 13th century in Hungary.
The building complex was one of the most important Benedictine abbeys for centuries.
One of the most important historical buildings in Hungary, a parish church built in the 11th century.
Find places related to notable personalities or events of Hungarian history on the map.
The Pauline monastery was built for Hungarian hermit monks in 1225.
The best-known piece of the Hungarian Crown Jewels is the Holy Crown.
The bell is a percussion instrument and an idiophone. Many types of bells exist.